The FOSS4G-ASIA conference series aim to bring together FOSS4G users and developers worldwide and foster closer interactions with and amongst Asian communities to share ideas for improving Free & Open Source Software and applications in the field of Geoinformatics. The focus area of the conference is to foster the development and promote the widespread use of FOSS4G technologies.
FOSS4G-ASIA conference series started in 2014 commemorating the 10th anniversary of the pioneering FOSS4G related conference that held was held in Thailand in 2004. The first edition of FOSS4G-Asia in Bangkok, Thailand. Since 2014, FOSS4G-Asia is being held every two years. All work related to organization of the conference is done by the local organizing committee that is formed by the local hosting institution/organizers. The conference has now become the main Asian-FOSS4G event. The last conference was held in Kathmandu, Nepal in October 2021.
During the organization on the 2014 FOSS4G-Asia event, it was decided unanimously that FOSS4G-Asia will be held as a biennial event (every two years) counting from last FOSS4G-Asia. During the FOSS4G-Asia 2018 selection process, it was also decided that the future FOSS4G-Asia events will be organized between October-December period. The selection of the host is entrusted to selection committee comprising of past event organizers and persons involved in actively FOSS4G in Asia.
SELECTION COMMITTEE FOSS4G-ASIA 2023
- Ho Dinh Duan – Vietnamese Academy of Science and Technology, Vietnam
- Gérald Fenoy – GeoLabs SARL, France
- Hirofumi HayashI – OSGeo-Japan
- Jeff McKenna – GatewayGeo, Canada
- Sarawut Ninsawat – Asian Institute of Technology, Thailand
- Venkatesh Raghavan – Osaka Metropolitan University, Japan
- Rangajeewa Ratnayake – Muratowa University, Sri Lanka
- Sanghee Shin – Gaia 3D, Korea
- Natraj Vaddadi – Centre for Education & Research in Geosciences, India
- Ravi Kumar Vundavalli – OSGeo-India
- Song Xianfeng – University of Chinese Academy of Science, China
PROCESS & TIMELINES (AoE Time Zone)
- Invitation of Expression of Interest (EoI) – 15th June 2022
- Expression of Interest (EoI) by 6th July 2022
- Submission of detailed proposals by 30th July 2022
- Replies to queries (if any) by 6th August 2022
- Selection process – 7th to 12th August 2022
- Announcement of host country – 14th August 2022
- Date/s of event – Anytime from October 2023 to December 2023
EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
The deadline for submitting expression of interest is 6th July 2022. (Wednesday) (AoE Time Zone)
A list of all those who have expressed interest will be published on this page soon after closing of receipt of the proposals.
Queries if any, can be addressed to the email@example.com.
Details of information to be included in the final proposal will be sent to all those who have submitted an EoI in hosting the conference. Detailed information regarding various aspects of the conference will have to be provided in the proposal.
The proposal will be the basis of deciding the host. The deadline for submission of proposals is 30th July 2022 (Saturday) (AoE Time Zone)
The bidding teams are required to answer questions related to their bids, and to submit their answers by 6th August 2022 (Saturday; AoE Time Zone).
The selection committee will vote during 7tht August to 12th August and decide the host for FOSS4G-Asia 2023. The selected host will be announced on 14th of August. (Sunday; AoE Time Zone).
EARLIER FOSS4G CONFERENCES IN ASIA
2004 – THAILAND: https://gisws.media.osaka-cu.ac.jp/grass04/
2014 – THAILAND: https://www.foss4g-asia.org/2014/
2017 – INDIA: https://www.foss4g-asia.org/2017/
2018 – SRI LANKA: https://www.foss4g-asia.org/2018/
2021 – NEPAL : https://www.foss4g-asia.org/2020